Friday, November 5, 2010

Don't Treat Me Like I'm Broken

This is just something I wrote after a conversation with a friend yesterday. We were talking about the pain of my past, and the chore I am facing of confronting and dealing with it all. He was intrigued that I didn't want to be pitied, and this is what came from that discussion. I make absolutely no claims to be a poet or a writer of any kind, but as this is from the heart, I thought I would put it out there for discussion. Hopefully a better photo will be by in a bit, after I get home from work. Let me know what you think. Blessings to you all.


Broken
Don't treat me like I'm broken,
An object to be pitied.
You see the cracks, the wounds,
But I am so much more.
My hands though scarred and shaking,
Still serve joyfully.
My guilt and pain are evident,
My shame plain to see.
But they do not define me.
I am more than my scars.
They will heal with time.
Your love and care surround me,
Your listening ear my strongest comfort.
I need your friendship, your patience,
As I wrestle with my past.
But don't treat me like I'm broken,
I'm afraid I will not last.
I cling to hope,
A plan, a purpose.
I know I am not alone.
My life, though streaked with pain,
Is overwhelmed by grace.
I'm scarred, shaken, beaten,
But I am free.
I am me.
-R. Bryan


"We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed." - 2 Corinthians 4:8-9.

6 comments:

  1. Ruth, this is gorgeous. Deb and are writing together and just clicked over to read your entry. I write for both of us when I say that you've moved us very much. You've captured the very essence of this kind of pain without self-pity or self-indulgence. And yet, you could succumb to both and no one would blame you.

    You will always know best how much stronger you are than anyone can imagine. You are a most beautiful soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Barb (and Deb)! Just wrestling with some new stuff, and I figured some others in the blogosphere could probably relate.

    Much love to both of you guys! Have fun writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, This is a lovely post..I don't know your struggle but so understand the concept of being awash in darkness yet still "overwhelmed by grace"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I like your line about being "awash in darkness." Fits with the given circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Ruth. *hugs, hugs, hugs* That is so breathtakingly perfect. *sniffle* You just so told the truth.

    Beautiful. Utterly perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Rigel, I'm so glad you read this. I thought of you as I posted it. Thanks for all the hugs, I can never get enough! -HUG!-

    ReplyDelete