Sunday, May 9, 2010

Crusty Chicken


In honor of moving out of the dorm and into my first apartment, I decided to make a special dinner to celebrate growing up. One of my favorite comedians, Colin Mochrie, is also apperantly a pretty good cook and has recipes on his website, so I decided to make his "Crusty Chicken Breasts with Chopped Salad." I think it is one of my favorite foods ever!! It's simple and cheap to make, is relatively healthy, and tastes amazing!!! I think the best part was preparing a meal totally on my own, in my own place for the first time. I's all grown up! :D

Crusty Chicken Breasts with Chopped Salad
CRUSTY CHICKEN BREASTS:
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs (175 ml)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (50 ml)
1 tsp. grated lemon rind (5 ml)
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb/ 500g)
Pinch each salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil (25ml)

SALAD:
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil (25ml) or 1/2 tsp (2ml) dried
2 tbsp olive oil (25ml)
1 tbsp each balsamic vinegar and lemon juice (15 ml)
Pinch each salt and pepper
6 cups arugula, trimmed (1.5 L)
4 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup chopped red onion (50 ml)

In a shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and lemon rind. Pour egg into a second shallow dish.
Sprinkle chicken salt and pepper. Dip each breast into egg, turing to coat; dip into crumb mixture, turning and pressing to coat evenly. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook chicken for about 5 minutes per side or until browned and no longer pink inside.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together basil, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add arugula, tomatoes and onion; toss to coat. Divide salad among plates; top each with chicken.

I added some wonderful oatmeal-butterscotch cookies (given to me by a friend) for dessert, and some Southern Sweet Tea to drink. I would suggest this to anyone on a budget, or in a time crunch.
Thanks to Colin for posting this awesome recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment