Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Missing My Mom

As Mother's Day nears the thoughts of all turn to how to impress their mothers with candy, cards, gifts, promises of doing chores, or whatever else they think will show their love. For me Mother's Day is a bittersweet day. You see, I lost my mother to kidney cancer almost 13 years ago. I treasure the chance to reflect on her life, and on what a wonderful person and Mom she was to me and my two sisters, but I mourn that I cannot even tell her I love her one last time. As my friends call their mothers to gossip about their new clothes, or the boy that's caught their eye, I can only wonder what that's like. I think in life we take our mothers for granted so very easily, like they will always be there. Not to be depressing, but we never really know how much longer they'll be with us so we should treasure every moment we spend with them. Every phone call, every hug, and especially every "I love you." What I wouldn't give to hear that from my Mom again. Even after 13 years there's not a day that goes by without me thinking of my mother. Though the ache has lessened with time, it seems to be a permanent part of my soul, destined to remain until I see her again. I dearly treausre all the memories I have of my Mom, and there were so many special moments we shared. So, this Mother's Day really take the time to do something special for your Mom. She's the only one you've got. And you never know how much longer you'll have her.

I love you, Mom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment