Friday, August 27, 2010

Sing, Cry, and Dream

Since school has officially begun for the semester I thought I'd pass on something from my ethics class today. Our prof split the class up into groups of 3 or 4 people, with the requirement that you not be very familiar with at least one of the people in your group. He then told us to take some time and get to know each other by answering these three questions: What makes you sing (or so happy that you want to burst out into a musical number)?, What makes you cry (or makes your heart and soul ache)?, and What makes you dream (either something that triggers dreaming, or a dream for the future)?. It was a  neat exercise and a good way to get to know someone quickly, so I thought I'd repost my answers here, and ask you for yours. Please comment back with your thoughts!

What makes you sing?
After spending my first summer living totally and completely on my own, I really came to appreciate my "adopted family." It was really hard for me to only see my real family for a week this summer, and all my college friends had gone home for the summer so there were times I was extremely lonely. Just being able to go over to their house, and sit and watch MSNBC ("Mom's" favorite channel) with them, gave me a sense of belonging and fellowship that just filled my heart with joy. I felt like I was a part of their family, especially when we went from dinners complete with centerpiece to sitting around the living room eating. I cherish all my college friends, and the relationships I strengthened with many of the adults of the church over the summer, but it still feels great to really be accepted somewhere. And their dog, Beau, heals my heart whenever I'm having a rough day :)

What makes you cry?
There's a lot of things that make my heart ache, but right now the one that springs to mind is my grandmother with Alzheimer's. I just hate the thought of a disease that makes you lose all your memories, all your  friends, and even who you are. The worst part is that there is no cure, so all you can do is watch your loved one slowly slip deeper into the abyss.

What makes you dream?
I dream of making a difference in people's lives.Whether this is just the people around me, or someday reaching out to the masses through some medium doesn't really matter to me. I just hope that in the end, I'll be seen for brightening up the world I'm living in. Kinda corny and broad, but right now I don't really know exactly what I want to end up doing. If I had to choose something specific at this point, I'd have to say I dream about someday writing and publishing a book that would help people who have gone through some of the same things that I have. I hope I can use my life experiences to help others and give them hope, that they can make it through to the light at the end of the tunnel.

3 comments:

  1. Wow what a great post ruth. I love your respces to those questios. Lets see Something that makes me sing-It would probably have to be when I got my new job. I was so excited that I just felt like dancing around the room and bursting out into a song because I was so excited

    some that make me cry- When I think about my grandfather and everything that is going on with him. Sometimes I just have the weight of the world on my shoulders and I just have to brake down in my room and cry by self. It helps me a lot. And there is sometimes where I cry on my boyfriends shoulders because of all the stress of college and a new job and my grandfather and sometimes I just have to much on my plate and that is the only way I can't let my stress go is just by crying. Hey it helps all to just cry some times.

    Something that makes me dream- Something that makes me dream is knowing that I have so much in my life that I have accomplished and so much more that I am going to accomplish after I graduate college in a year and a half. Knowing that I am going to do so much more in my life and looking foward to what is ahead for me. That is what makes me dream.

    Great post Ruth really this one made me think but I like thinking this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get the chance check out the poem that I posted on my blog called Daddy it hurts. it's a sad poem just to let you know. It is under the post called the Painful Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers! Thanks for still reading, even with my unpredictability! I try to stay up to date on all your posts as well, though I don't always have the time to comment :) You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete