Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Should I stay or should I go?!?

Ack! I've become that person I despise, not writing for over a week without a word of warning...my sincerest apologies for not having kept up with your blogs either! The past week and a half has just been so crazy that writing has been the farthest thing from my mind. I haven't even picked up the camera in two weeks!!

Lately, on top of weird busyness at work, my mind's been eaten up with trying to figure out my plan for this school year. Right now I'm set up to graduate in December (provided I pass the Biology CLEP Test), I've been accepted into a graduate program, and I've got a part time job lined up with the National Guard (but I haven't signed a contract yet). But as nice as all that is, I find myself not quite ready to move into it yet. I'm trying to decide if I've got the senior jitters, or if this is something I really want to do. I'm not even sure what I really want anymore. I've got the option of taking 12 hrs in the spring and staying here. My job is mine for as long as I want it and I could even pick up another part-time one and save up to get ready for seminary. It's even possible that I could live off campus for free, and be able to just save a lot. The biggest reason to stay would be that I'm just totally burnt out on school, and have been for a while. This may sound like I'm just complaining, but I've ended up having to put up with a lot of other stuff on top of school during my time at college, and it would be nice to kind of take a semester for myself. I'd have to take classes to avoid paying on my loans, but I could take classes that I'd enjoy and wouldn't be too difficult. I could still gain experience in my field by keeping my current job, and I think I still have a lot to offer them which would be enhanced by my being here to see some projects through. I could take some time to recoop from these past semesters, and still be doing stuff to help my career. I know that I'm going to have to spend at least 2-3 more years in school, and probably more like 5-6 since I want to get my doctorate, and I feel need a break. It's a decision I know I have to make on my own, and one I need to make soon, but I'm trying not to worry about it too much. The best advice has been if I want to stay, to make sure I'm doing it for the right reasons, and I believe I am. I think I'm going to start check around to see if the seminary will hold my spot another semester, if my college will let me live off campus, and talk to my boss just to see what my options are. I know this post is pretty random, but I just need to try to sort out my ruminations because they're driving me crazy and not letting me sleep. Ugh...just a lot running through my mind these days. Any helpful suggestions from my friends from the blogosphere?

Note to Self: While jogging/working out to try to clear your head of school-related decisions, do not use the jogging path that winds all over the school...it's completely counterproductive.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean those kind of choices can be hard to make. I kind of have a similer problem. I also have to go back to college here in just a few weeks and I don't graduate for another 1 1/2. I go to college in NYC so I am a little sad that I have to leave my family and friends in Canada. When I go back to college in NYC I have a choice that I have to make. I have to decide weather to get a job or not to get a job. I had one before I left to come up to Canada and they told me a few days ago that the job is still mying if I want it but I don't know if I want that job or to get another one, but it would be helpful to pay my bills because when you live on your own you don't have anyone to pay them for you. If I had any advice for you it would be to do what you feel is right. And do what is in your heart. Also don't put so much pressure on your self college will do that for you trust me on this one plus work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the job thing. I had to quit band this past year so I could work. It's good to have money, but I hate the things you have to give up. The story of life I guess. Thanks for the great comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth -- sounds like you might need that break. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to take it. Breathe. Listen to your gut. Give all those thoughts in your mind a chance to wrestle it out. See what comes out the winner...
    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Barb! I'm trying not to worry about it too much, but it just seems crazy to put a hold on a sure thing...we shall see.

    ReplyDelete