Friday, June 4, 2010

Adrenaline Junkie


I've never really considered my self as an adrenaline junkie, I typically leave that to my younger sister. I absolutely hate roller coasters, and flat refuse to go bungie jumping! But almost a year ago today I found myself staring out the open side door of an airplane preparing to do the stupidest thing I had done in my young life.

It all started with an absentminded comment to my best friend on how I'd like to try skydiving once before I joined the military. As he was planning to join the Navy he agreed that we should go sometime. I didn't think much of it at the time, but somehow my sister found out. She's the crazy one of the family; loves to ride the highest fastest roller coasters in the park, and you should try riding in a car with her sometime (I have never prayed so hard in my life!). Anyway, she decided that as her high school graduation present Aaron and I should take her skydiving. Not wanting to look the coward, I agreed. So a couple weeks later we drove to the nearby airfield, and jumped out of a perfectly good airplane. The absolute worst part was the waiting. We had to wait about two hours before getting suited up and another hour and a half before we took off. After that it was pure bliss. As we loaded in to the small airplane Aaron and I were the last two on, meaning we were to be the first out and the ones to sit next to the jump door on the flight up. It was amazing to fly up in an airplane with the door open, feel the rushing wind, and see for miles. It was all good until it got time to jump. As I stood at the opening of the door with my toes poised to throw myself out of the plane, I panicked. And I mean heart in your throat, gut wrenching panicked. In the few short seconds I was there, my entire life flashed before my eyes. The thought that I might be about to die was definitely on my mind! Luckily the instructor I was strapped to realized what was going on and used his weight to push us out of the plane. Once I was in the air it was the most awe inspiring thing ever. The wind rushing past my cheeks reminded me of how my dog looks when he sticks his head out of the window. It all stopped too soon as he pulled the chute. For the next couple of minutes we floated in total silence, just enjoying the feeling of flight. Then as quickly as it had begun, the flight was over. They told us afterwards that we were in the air for a total of about 10 minutes, but it felt like mere seconds and an eternity all at once. I was grateful to have the ground back under my feet again, and, though it was a lot of fun, I doubt I will ever experience that again. It's something everyone should do once, but I've been content to leave the role of the adrenaline junkie to my sister after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment