Friday, June 25, 2010

The Right Tool

In my previous post I wrote about volunteering to do some construction work this week and being more than a little peeved that I wasn't really getting to do the work I expected. Well, today while we were working, (I was getting to use the power tools, by the way) I was really struck with how juvenile, and petty my complaint had been. Here I was, supposedly volunteering to help someone, and fussing about whether or not I got to use power tools. I think it's safe to say I lost track of the bigger picture. I was doing a job that needed to be done, fulfilling a purposeful part of my crew. It may not have been the most glorious or exciting one, but it was still important. Wandering mind that I have, I started ruminating on how this was a metaphor for life. There's the folks that get to do the glorious jobs like movie stars, politicians, star athletes, and then there are those who have the more unassuming positions. The folks who work the grocery store counters, who drive the garbage trucks, who teach the nations children. Each is necessary in our society, and each can be fulfilling if approached with the right attitude. We all have our niche, the job we are gifted for and love to do. To do anything else would be like trying to drive in a screw with a hammer, it'll get the job done, but it'll be hard going and the end result won't be near as sound. Sometimes when putting in a screw, you first set it up and give it a few taps with a hammer to get it started, to give it a foundation, for the drill to come in and place it where it needs to be. I started off the week, merely as a go-fer (and an unhappy one at that), by the end of the week I was doing what I loved, helping actually build the wheelchair ramp. The same is true in life, we have to do things we don't necessarily like or want to do, but I believe ultimately these things help point us towards what we're meant to do. To that niche that we're supposed to be in. If we're patient, and continue to work hard, endeavoring to use the right tools for the job and not being frustrated with the position we're in, then we will eventually find what's right for us. It may take all of our lifetimes to do so, but in the end I believe it's being happy and at peace with yourself that matters more than the glamorous job or the big bank account, (though I certainly wouldn't turn them down!). A lucky few will end up with all of the above, but for all of us, we should focus on finding the balance in our lives. To use another construction metaphor, to find that which puts us on the bubble, that levels us out. Sometimes it takes a couple knocks with the hammer here or there, sawing off a bit, rethinking your strategy, or even simply starting over but in the end we can find that balance if we're patient and persevere. To do this just remember, driving screws with a hammer is possible, but a screwdriver makes the job a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment