Saturday, June 19, 2010

Taking the Time

I'm one of those people who is always busy. Working and attending school take up most of my time, and I almost always find a way to fill my spare time with some project or another. When I was younger I would say that I'd relax after I got into a good college. Then I got to college and said I'd take time after I got into grad school. Now, I find myself accepted into a grad school for January, about to finish my B.A., and fully wishing I could go back and enjoy all the time I spent being so driven to get to the next level. I've spent the last 5 or so years so focused on what's ahead that I've forgotten to have fun while on the journey to get there. I've realized there's always going to be a goal out in front of me, always some next step I'm wanting to get to, and it's how I get there that matters more than simply achieving success in it's various forms. My boss/mentor is constantly asking me, "What did you do to have fun this week?" Most of the time I have a hard time coming up with something I did solely for the purpose of relaxing. It's so easy to let life slip by without taking the time to truly appreciate it. While thinking about my mom this week, I decided to really focus on having fun and enjoying each day regardless of all the stresses I have or projects I'm working on. Life is to short to spend it always worried about what's coming next. It's important to have a plan and to work hard to achieve it, but it's equally important to enjoy what you do.

A couple years ago I was in Kenya volunteering over Christmas break, and got stuck in the middle of their "ethnic clashes." One night in particular there were threats made against the place we were staying, and a pretty significant chance we were going to be attacked. I spent the night seriously contemplating my life, what I had done up until that point, and what I planned to do. I made a decision to experience as many different things this life had to offer while I had the chance because I didn't know how much time I would have to do them. I wanted to do all those things that people regret not doing when they get older. I got safely home from that experience, got caught up in all of stress of work and school, and promptly forgot all about my plans. The next summer reminded me of my decision as I went skydiving with my sister, and white water rafting in the Andes (in their winter...brr!) with a group from my school. Now it's developed into a goal to do something crazy or unexpected every summer that I possibly can. I'm working on a bucket-list of sorts, of all the things I hope to do, and I plan to slowly save up and check them off whenever I can. Now, I just have to find something to do this summer to keep the plan on track. The suggestions I've recieved thus far include writing a book, trying to get a ride in a racecar, and going parasailing. None of those are quite what I'm looking for, so my search continues. Meanwhile I'm just going to continue taking the time to go see movies with friends, enjoy a fine dinner every once in a while, and simply stopping to smell the roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment