Thursday, July 8, 2010

Horse Sense


Growing up on a ranch meant I developed a love for horses at an early age. They are so graceful and majestic that it was only a matter of time before I was head over heels in love. I just knew for sure that someday I'd work with horses as my job, and my whole life would revolve around them. Unfortunately, I grew up. I let people talk me out of my dream, and focused instead on another path. My baby sister, S, has done the opposite. She's twice as horse crazy
now, as a senior in high school, than I ever was. She even helps train horses as her part-time job. I've been lucky enough to watch her work a couple of times since I've been home, and can honestly say that she continues to amaze me. She has this special gift, this horse sense that most of us can only dream of. She connects to a horse instantly, and it to her. There's an unseen bond there, stronger than steel. She can take even the wildest mustang and have him eating out of her hand in just a few days time. Where she has only been a mediocre student in school, she studies horses constantly. She digests any book she can get her hands on, almost memorizing it's every word. About a year ago she was given a barely broken, 4 year old, quarter horse stallion as a birthday present from a close family friend. She trained him all on her own, which is no easy feat. She's been bucked off more times than either of us can count (and it still gives me a heart attack every time it happens), but she gets back on every time. Now her horse, Jet, is as gentle as a puppy. She crawls all over him, and he doesn't even bat an eye. I see her working with a horse, and can tell you couldn't pay her to be anywhere else at that moment. They are her life, and she quickly becomes theirs. She has a special horse sense that you can never teach, even given all of time. I love to come home and spend an afternoon riding with her, swallowing my pride and learning from her. She's a good teacher, even for such a student as I. She is patient and gentle to all she meets, human and equine alike. She has such a gentle countenance that I worry sometimes how she'll face the onslaught of the real world. I couldn't be prouder of her though. Not only because of her gift, but because she refuses to give up on her dreams.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I love horse's as well. They are beautiful animals. Actually I have road a horse before when I was at school. They are peaceful animals and they are animals that just don't hurt anybody. Like I said great post. I am glad there is someone else who cares about animals as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Every time I see something about horses it makes me so nostalgic. I started riding when I was 7 or 8, but stopped as a teenager because I'd gradually become too scared of falling to ride anymore. I still love horses though, and I miss riding, especially in shows.

    My oldest cousin is like your sister though; totally in love with horses, willing to train or ride any horse that anyone puts in front of her. I'm as in awe of her as you must be of your sister.

    Lovely photos by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wonderful comments! I am really in awe of S. And a little jealous, I must admit :D

    ReplyDelete